Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth
Email a letter of interest, your resume, two references, and a transcript (unofficial is okay) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Intern” as the subject of your email, and include your availability and where you saw this posting. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
We will offer interviews based on application strength, including demonstrated interest, extracurriculars, transcript/coursework, cover letter writing, and any work experience.
The intern(s) will become familiar with national and state efforts to end juvenile life without parole and other extreme sentences for children. They will assist the CFSY staff by responding to the letters from incarcerated individuals, attending occasional hearings and local juvenile justice events, assisting with communications projects, and performing program support and administrative tasks. College credit eligibility and letters of recommendation provided upon successful completion of the internship. Part-time.
- Work with the legal team to respond to letters and inquiries from individuals who are incarcerated
- Perform administrative tasks such as filing, data entry, working within Salesforce, Microsoft Word & Excel, and Mailchimp
- Represent the Campaign at various juvenile and criminal justice meetings/events in the DC area
- Assist with donor prospect research
- Support communications projects
- Attend local sentencing hearings
- Assist with event planning
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Commitment to criminal and juvenile justice issues, particularly reform to harsh juvenile sentencing practices in the United States, racial discrimination in juvenile justice, and /or human rights in the United States
- Some experience working with Microsoft Office applications. Salesforce experience a plus
- Well-developed organization skills
- Mature and reliable
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and listening skills
- Willingness to take direction and work as a team – friendly and courteous, willing to work as part of the larger community efforts to end juvenile life without parole
- Excellent writing abilities
The CFSY is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Here are general guidelines:
Summer internship (late May/early June through August): April 15
Fall internship (early September through mid-December): August 15
Spring internship (mid-January through May): November 15
*** The Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.